Thursday, May 14, 2009

Once Upon a Wish...

_MG_7299

When I was a little girl, I used to chase dandelion puffs around in the yard. Tracking them as they swayed in the breeze, I looked to gather them and set them free from their bind to the earth and break the cycle of their obligation to spread their seeds and start the process over again.

"That's not how it's going to work today," I thought one sunny day in the midst of my innocence.

Once these puffs were delicately uprooted by my eager little hands, their purpose was now to serve me. Yes, I would amass these fuzzy tops from a selfish place... Once plucked by me, they now would only perform in the capacity of spreading my joys, dreams, and wishes. As I blew the fluff into the breeze, the dancing parachutes of my dreams were released to dart into the wind and spread my wishes where they may, far and wide in the hopes of attaining greatness and happiness.

My dreams back then were very varied. I wished that my parents weren't so strict (being the only girl and the youngest yielded a protective front from - what I would eventually realize were - two of the best parents a child could hope for). I wished for my brothers to think I was cool. I wished for the Barbie Dream House (which I did get for Christmas one year!). I wished for life to be easy and happy...

Among those innocent and child-driven desires, I had the autonomy to realize that my future deserved some forethought as well. I wished to have a successful career...successful in all the meanings that the word should encompass, from the obvious fiscal connotation right down to the warm and fuzzy spot on the heart of pride, which boasts the goodness of hard work, tenacity, and self-confidence. Yes, those are the things that success brings. These things equal happiness for me.

I also wished to be married and have a loving husband and beautiful children. (This part will follow the career part, I am sure...) I wished that it would all come together with little to no bumps in the road, and that I would beam with happiness every day that I would wake.

Some of these dreams have remained and become part of my very core. Of these things that I wished for, I had no idea how they would materialize...I just knew that I was meant to be happy and achieve this ambiguous vision that I had for my life.

No doubt my journey has been, at times, a harrowing one. I was never the person in school who knew what they wanted to be when they grew up. I could never envision myself as a doctor or a lawyer or someone chained to an office desk. When I would try to imagine my future and my potential career, it looked like a line on a MadLib...


When I grow up, I want to be a _________(noun)__________.


All that came to mind was a blinding white room filled with a giant question mark.

I had no idea for the longest time what my dream actually was or how it would manifest. I desperately wanted to find this out about myself, and each time I went to college (yes, I went 3 times), I hoped that this time I would be on the right path...

The first two paths didn't lead to the revelation that I sought... but the third one did. I had to take those first two roads to get to the third and the place where I felt at home. This is what photography is for me...and now all my education and passion is transpiring into my wish come true. There is no other way for me to be...I have had the persistence and determination to seek my passion, study it, perform it, perfect it, and now effect it into the career of my choosing.

I choose photography and the craft of making art. I choose smiles and the art of catching the moment. I choose happiness and beauty and never feel as though I am working when I am taking pictures. Yes, I feel at home in this dream...and this dream is no longer a wispful wish.

I want to thank all of those who have and continue to support me. The wishes that once took flight on wispy silken tufts landed and took root. With love and patience and nurturing, these wishes have grown up, and continue to gain strength and momentum with each passing day. At one time, my wishes seemed to be far away dreams that may never be realized, but now my wish for happiness is coming true.

And now my wish is for you to follow your dreams. It's never to late to choose a different path. So, go on dreamers...grab a dandelion puff and make a wish...

_MG_7247

_MG_7249

_MG_7293

_MG_7274

_MG_7288

2 comments:

  1. Sounds all too familiar, although I only went to school twice. I couldn't bring myself to do it that third time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading what you write! I am very impressed with you my darling girl. The photos are great too.

    ReplyDelete