Friday, June 26, 2009

A Sad Day in HIStory...

I never thought I would see the day that Michael Jackson died. It actually never occurred to me that he would die. People of such stature and legendary proportions seem immortal to me, and it is with a heavy heart that that I must admit the fragility and mortality of the human condition. Death is but one of the certainties in which we are guaranteed, and it is now that I must admit and realize that we are all human, and these days must one day end.

Michael Jackson was part of the thread of the American existence. My mom used play "Thriller" on vinyl when I was a little girl. Whenever she would pull the album out, it seemed like magic...the whole album glowed, as if to tell of the mystical content within. Then when the needle hit the vinyl surface, a cornerstone of my childhood was hedged.

6/25/09 Rest In Peace, Michael Jackson. Your whole life was spent in the spotlight, and now it is your time to sleep, unwatched. Despite all the good, the bad, and the ugly, you are a legend that will never be matched. We will love you forever, and your music and dancing will always endure.

Here's Michael performing Billie Jean at the Motown 25 celebration, where he unveiled the infamous Moonwalk for the first time.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute. You continue to amaze me with your writings on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this video :)

    ReplyDelete