Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sneak peek of my self-portrait project...

I'm immediately posting this after the LOOK3 Festival of the Photograph post because it is the project that I worked on during the workshop that I took prior to the festival entitled "The Art of the Photographic Essay." (Whoa, run-on sentence! Maybe that was even a get-away sentence!)

When I went down to Charlottesville, I had no idea what I wanted to photograph for my essay for the workshop. I really wanted to challenge myself, though. I felt that because I am so busy shooting everyone else most of the time that I should go introspective with my project and do a self-portrait essay. I decided that since I'm at such a great place in my life that I wanted to convey something beautiful, ethereal, hopeful, and dream-like. These are a few of the photographs that I made while in Charlottesville. This is the start of a long-term project that I hope to one day publish. I will keep you guys in the know about it's progress. I hope you like them.

DSC_4556

_MG_3009

_MG_3171

David Alan Harvey let me borrow his camera (the Nikon d700) so that I could make some double exposures for this project...

DSC_4537

Jim Nachtwey said that he could see this one hanging in a museum. My heart almost burst because I was so excited! Accolades from the best photographer of all time. This is probably the coolest photograph I've ever made.

DSC_4528

And this may just be the most beautiful photograph I've ever made. I love all the layers...

_MG_3230A

I learned so much during this amazing workshop, and I can't wait to take some more. I am an eternal student, and there will never cease to be new ways to see.

In the works now, Toby and Rob's love shoot - posting shortly!

3 comments:

  1. These are all tasty frames here carrie but my favorite is the spider web photograph. What awesome comments you got to hear about your amazing work! Awesome essay!
    Thanks for shooting and sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is the double exposure with two of you walking around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rather valuable idea

    ReplyDelete