Saturday, October 10, 2009

Meet the Models, Part 7: Introducing Caitlin Tanksley...and an overdue apology to Film...

Once upon a time, while I was living in NY, I answered an inspired ad on Craigslist which called for rising photography stars hoping to learn and be and conquer the world. The ad was quite lengthy, and I was feeling charged and very Carpe Diem upon my conclusion of reading it. Immediately, I felt akin to the photographer who had written the ad, and I emailed him with some of my work paired with witty and intelligent commentary, citing that I felt we were kindred spirits. We set the appointment.

I was feeling alive and excited to get the opportunity to work with Photographer X. Upon my arrival and what followed to be a stilted greeting at the door, my energy took an immediate nosedive. X was not the Carpe Diem type that he declared to be in his ad. Rather, he was the walking contradiction that we all cross the street to avoid. His ideas and philosophy about life and the world did nothing but bring me down...he was the complete antithesis of what I imagined him to be. Needless to say, my disappointment surged through my core as I trudged through our painful meeting.

I kept thinking that this isn't right...this can't be the same guy. So, as I'm trying to process the circumstance, I just can't seem to put the person who wrote the ad with the person who sat before me, who begrudged his existence.

At one point, I dared to ask him how many interns he had...to which his answer rang something like, "Oh, I don't know...a few, maybe 5 or 6..."

Excuse me? You don't intimately know the work and progress of those that you are claiming to mentor? Or their names? Or that you have them and how many they are and what they seek to do with their lives?

Instant red flag. Duh. Then the conversation proceeded to go to the tune of a bad Billy Cyrus song...kind of like scratching your eardrums...as X indicated that I should not be renting a studio in Brooklyn because everything photographable was outside and that I should sell my Hasselblad to buy a digital camera.

EXCUSE ME? Or rather, EXCUSE YOU. I was appalled that this atrocity of a man would ever say something so offensive to me. My love for photography was invested purely in film at the time. And I loooove my Hassleblad...and my 35mm Vivitar and my 4x5 Graflax. The fact that I saved all my money to invest in a used Hasselblad (and studio) paired with the fact that my entire portfolio was film meant nothing to this disgusting human being.

Needless to say, I left the meeting feeling deflated and disappointed. The good news is that I never heard from him again. The great news is that I kept shooting film. The even better news is that I am a happy person who seeks to lift others up, and that I would never treat anyone with the disrespect and misery with which he treated me.

There's something here I must admit...for awhile, I had a pause in my employment of Film because I simply could not afford it. But, I am happy to reveal that the BEST news is that I've made my way back to film. And I will never stop shooting film. So, here's a long overdue apology to my dear friend, Film...

Dear Film,

You are my dear old friend and lover; I'm so sorry that I've been gone for awhile. You make me happy in a way that no other can. Thank you for welcoming me, always, with open arms. You help me achieve beauty in unspeakable ways. I will always love you.

-C

So, now folks, onto the grit and grist of your visual feast. Meet Caitlin Tanksley, a brilliant and unstoppable beauty who indulged my several cameras (film and digital) one sunny afternoon for some bridal fashion. Not only is she a stunner to look at, but also a brilliant rising star in the interior design game. And she's one sharp tack...

Hair and Makeup by Meredith Sasko
Dress designed by Modern Trousseau
Dress provided by White Dress by the Shore
Flowers by Yumiko of Hana Floral

Love and be happy. Proceed...

Caitlin_001
Caitlin_002
Caitlin_003
Caitlin_004
Caitlin_0<br />05
Caitlin_006
Caitlin_007
Caitlin_008
Caitlin_009
Caitlin_010
Caitlin_011
Caitlin_012
Caitlin_013
Caitlin_014
Caitlin_015
Caitlin_016
Caitlin_017
Caitlin_018
Caitlin_019
Caitlin_020
Caitlin_021
Caitlin_022
Caitlin_023
Caitlin_024
Caitlin_025
Caitlin_026
Caitlin_027
Caitlin_028
Caitlin_029
Caitlin_030
Caitlin_031
Caitlin_032
Caitlin_033
Caitlin_034
Caitlin_035
Caitlin_036
Caitlin_037
Caitlin_038
Caitlin_039
Caitlin_040
Caitlin_041
Caitlin_042
Caitlin_043
Caitlin_044
Caitlin_045
Caitlin_046
Caitlin_047
Caitlin_048
Caitlin_049
Caitlin_050
Caitlin_051
Caitlin_052
Caitlin_053
Caitlin_054
Caitlin_055
Caitlin_056
Caitlin_057
Caitlin_058
Caitlin_059
Caitlin_060
Caitlin_061

3 comments:

  1. Dear Carrie,
    I am so thrilled with how our shoot went! The photos are stunning and I truly love how you captured me being myself and also being the subject. It was a wonderful experience and I could not have asked for a better photographer to work with. I look forward to our next adventure together in making beautiful photography! You are truly talented!

    <3
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very beautifuly photos. You are getting better and better all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I meant beautiful not beautifuly photos. Sorry for the typo.

    ReplyDelete