Friday, October 9, 2009

Smiley times: Meet Samuel at 8 months...

When I was in Charlottesville, VA for the Festival of the Photograph in June, Mara and David were the kind souls who hosted me on their property for a week while I worked on my self-portrait project. It was the perfect setting on a gorgeous farm in horse country, and I was flooded over by their constant generosity and warmth. The least I could possibly do to show my appreciation and thanks was to photograph their first son, 8 month old Samuel. So, the day before I left, I went over to their house and we played. It was like a trash the outfit session for babies, as little Samuel made a disaster out of his little blue outfit. There were laughs, there were tears, there were bubbles and fences... and lots of grass to eat. There was lots of sticking our tongues out, and bare bums and dimpled thighs made an appearance as well.

So, I invite you to smile, to laugh out loud, and to cry when looking these photographs...I would be shocked if you didn't experience at least one of these emotive emissions when viewing this work. I sure did...because some of these make me downright laugh, loudly and from a deep belly place that calls me right back to the moment. And that, my friends, is what it's all about.

I absolutely love photographing children. Someone recently commented to me that I show a mother's view...that I shoot in a way that captures the way a mother sees her child. I almost cried when she said this to me...because she got it. I photograph that way to show my connection to the child and that I view and appreciate their innocence and potential in this world. I am completely awed by the wonder of children, and I do love all of these beautiful little ones who I am privileged to photograph, as they are my children while I am photographing them. It's a moment of their little lives that I have the honor to preserve for mothers and fathers everywhere. And I feel very special that I ever get invited to take part. Thank you, Mara and David and Samuel for letting me make photographs of this moment in your lives. I treasure you and all that you are.

Samuel_001
Samuel_002
Samuel_003
Samuel_004
Samuel_005
Samuel_006
Samuel_007
Samuel_008
Samuel_009
Samuel_010
Samuel_011
Samuel_012
Samuel_013
Samuel_014
Samuel_015
Samuel_016
Samuel_017
Samuel_018
Samuel_019
Samuel_020
Samuel_021
Samuel_022
Samuel_023
Samuel_024
Samuel_025
Samuel_026
Samuel_027
Samuel_028
Samuel_029
Samuel_030
Samuel_031
Samuel_032
Samuel_033
Samuel_034
Samuel_035
Samuel_036
Samuel_037
Samuel_038
Samuel_039
Samuel_040
Samuel_041
Samuel_042
Samuel_043
Samuel_044
Samuel_045
Samuel_046
Samuel_047
Samuel_048
Samuel_049
Samuel_050
Samuel_051

2 comments:

  1. Carrie, These are wonderful! My favorite is the one where he is looking at the bubble rising over the table with his tongue hanging out with all the slobber an eight month old has. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, Carrie---esp. love the bubble images, w/him framed in the bubble--brilliant!

    ReplyDelete